Saturday, July 6, 2013

Market Fantasy #1


Hello and welcome to Market Fantasy. This is a fantasy sports blog with a twist, a combination of stock market principles and fantasy sports - Wall Street meets Clark and Addison - written by someone who only wishes he could make it in either place. I came up with the idea for this blog a few years ago, sitting in a graduate finance class. I’m not saying I wasn’t paying attention, but let’s just say my mind might have wandered a little bit. I’m sure the lecture was riveting. Anyway, I got to thinking about a fantasy baseball story I had read earlier in the day, and something in the story stuck with me – something about return on your investment for a certain player. As someone halfway to an MBA with a finance concentration - clearly an expert - that stuck in my head.

I read a lot of fantasy sports blogs. I also read a lot about investments and economics, and I’m always struck by how similar the language used in the two is. Fantasy writers are always talking about return on investment, profit, boom and bust cycles, bubbles and value. A player is either overpriced compared to the market, or a great value. With such similar language, I wanted to see how similar the two disciplines are. Can you make a market of fantasy players? Is it possible to price a player using CAPM? Does Andrew McCutchen have a beta?

This blog is an experiment. I have no idea how it will turn out, but I will attempt to make a market of fantasy players that functions like the stock market we’re all used to.  I know this is not a unique idea. There are a few sites out there right now which purport to be stock markets of athletes. I don’t believe these are true markets though. A player is listed initially, and throughout the year, they accumulate value based on their on field performance. A single is worth a dollar, a save worth three. If this sounds familiar, it’s because it is. This is also known as normal fantasy sports masquerading as a stock market game.

This will be different, and I will probably change a few things as I go throughout the season. What I am attempting to do is show that fantasy sports CAN function like the actual stock market. To do this, the first thing I need is an index. What better way to start than by emulating the Dow Jones Industrial Index. The Dow is one of the most widely watched indices out there today. It consists of 30 companies designed to give an overall picture of the health of the overall stock market. To do this, I have picked 30 baseball players to make up the market. They represent the best at each position. The valuation I am using is based on WAR (wins over replacement). I am assuming a standard twelve team league, so the replacement level would be the thirteenth ranked catcher, 1B, 2B, SS, and 3B. I play in leagues with three and four outfielders, for this I'll use four OF, making the 49th the replacement . I am assuming two relief pitchers making the 25th ranked the replacement and seven starting pitchers making the 85th ranked the replacement. Since most leagues also have a utility spot, I factored in for that as well. Lastly, the values are not meant to be auction values, they are what I came up with for this experiment. 

So, I realize this is midseason, but it took me a while to get everything to where I liked so I could publish. The first post will contain the FOW (Fantasy DOW) based on preseason projections. The second post will be the FOW if we were to start from today. I will use the preseason projections as the basis of all following posts, but thought it was interesting to look at how the market would've changed (hello Chris Davis!). Thanks so much for reading. Without further adieu, I give you the preseason FOW!


Player
Position
Value
Santana, Carlos  CLE
C
 $    20.98
Posey, Buster  SF
C
 $    20.44
Pujols, Albert  LAA
1B
 $    21.69
Votto, Joey  CIN
1B
 $    19.13
Fielder, Prince  DET
1B
 $    17.61
Cano, Robinson  NYY
2B
 $    26.31
Pedroia, Dustin  BOS
2B
 $    23.73
Kinsler, Ian  TEX
2B
 $    23.58
Tulowitzki, Troy  COL
SS
 $    26.71
Reyes, Jose  TOR
SS
 $    19.13
Castro, Starlin  CHC
SS
 $    16.10
Cabrera, Miguel  DET
3B
 $    36.76
Longoria, Evan  TB
3B
 $    20.07
Wright, David  NYM
3B
 $    17.79
Braun, Ryan  MIL
OF
 $    35.22
Trout, Mike  LAA
OF
 $    29.80
Kemp, Matt  LAD
OF
 $    29.70
Stanton, Giancarlo  MIA
OF
 $    27.64
Hamilton, Josh  LAA
OF
 $    26.70
McCutchen, Andrew  PIT
OF
 $    23.16
Bautista, Jose  TOR
OF
 $    23.60
Kershaw, Clayton  LAD
SP
 $    44.75
Verlander, Justin  DET
SP
 $    39.79
Strasburg, Stephen  WAS
SP
 $    39.49
Price, David  TB
SP
 $    37.36
Sabathia, CC  NYY
SP
 $    36.85
Hamels, Cole  PHI
SP
 $    34.73
Kimbrel, Craig  ATL
RP
 $    39.79
Papelbon, Jonathan  PHI
RP
 $    30.07
Rodney, Fernando  TB
RP
 $    25.41
FOW Index Price
 $  836.68






















No comments:

Post a Comment